Monday 24 July 2017

Danthus Shows: Part Three


So, Sunday Doncaster, Tuesday Tatton and now Saturday 22nd July at Atherton for the Lancs and Cheshire Carnation Society Early Show. This is only half an hour away for me, so I was there bright and early and helped put out the tables. It ended up being a very good show for the PFs, but typical for this year, not so many Pinks or Borders. As usual for this year, I was the only entrant in most of the Border classes as others had flowered out. 

In the Borders, Phil only had a few singles but he still won with Golden Cross, beating this new one of mine below which I think was too small for the judge.


A shock  in the single fancy class where Phil had a lovely sport of Mystic Mel, plus a very good Mystic Mel itself plus a nice Forest Glow, three entries but the judge gave the class to me with this Lord Nuffield below which isn't even round.




I put three entries in the five class but didn't have five of the same for one vase so I put this seedling, now called Bradshaw Beacon, in with four Ann S Moore. The other two vases were five Lucy Hogg and 5 Bradshaw Heartblood. The Heartblood got the Best Exhibit in the Borders.





Here are my three vases of five.


Show Girl was still very young and on the small side but I didn't have anything else so that was my vase of three fancies. This is the middle bloom.



Another shot of the five Bradshaw Heartblood.



One Bradshaw Beacon and four Ann S Moore:


Five Lucy Hogg, the front right was a bit wangy.


The three Show Girl.



In the three selfs, I put in two entries: three Bradshaw Heartblood below



and the second entry was two Crimson Comets and a Heartblood.


 In the PF section I was happy with my results though I had mostly single blooms to put together. These three were Lavender Schubert, Crompton Princess and Unfinished Symphony, second in the Grower's Choice class.


I put these in the Grower's Choice as well: Bob's Highlight, Crompton Classic and Atletico Schubert.




My best result was probably this one: first out of seven in the three fancies with three big and blousy Crompton Classics.


I was happy with a second out of six    in the Grower's Choice below.

 
PF Section.

Phil Cross won Best Exhibit with these nine Heracles which he staged for Tony Derrick who couldn't come.

Kevin Earl had some lovely flowers there. This is Meg Earl, second in the nine.



Kevin also had some lovely examples of this sport from Crompton Classic.


I also got a second out of twelve in the single self class with a nice Heracles. I got a silver for most points in the Borders but as at Doncaster, it's not so much fun when you're unopposed in a lot of classes. Let's hope next year we can all flower our borders at the same time and have some proper competition in the shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment