Friday 3 October 2014

Southport Flower Show 14th August 2014

My first glads show of 2014 was Huddersfield where I forgot to take photos but managed a rosette for  Best Seedling. Nigel Coe won the Best Exhibit prize.  Then it was on to Southport.


I was pleased to see Peggy Roseby (above) on the bench staged by Jim Moore. Named after my late mother-in-law, this can be a useful 400.


In the single prim I tried out one of my own, Kitty Rodely, which managed a third.


I was struggling in the six class, having to use these two seedling 200s in the front,


 then a couple of under flowered Felicita in the middle,



and two over the hill Decadents at the back. Luckily, others had much better flowers that saved the class.


The above photo is of one of Graham Anderson's fabulous whites. For some reason, the judges completely overlooked this spike and awarded first in the class to the little runt of a Serena to the left of it which was not only very short but also had one off the bottom. The other classes were well judged.


Yet more of a struggle for me in the six prims class where I couldn't even get six the same but had to sneak in a look alike seedling in roughly the same colour. Not my finest hour!

Despite all this, I love Southport as a show. It's an opportunity to meet other exhibitors of different flowers and discuss with them how they have fared since last year. One year I will perform the miracle and get flowers on time for this show but it's a little bit too early for my plots really. No matter. It's good to see others' glads in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment