Monday 28 August 2017

The BGS National at Poynton Show, 26th August 2107



This was one of those Nationals which was perfectly o.k. with lots of spike on the benches, but I personally did not think that the very top quality spikes were there this year. It was a great show for the public and there was much to see but there are some years and some glads that just leave you in awe of their glowing magnificence and maybe those were a bit thin on the ground. 

Trevor Fawcett won almost everything and deservedly so. Some of us had clearly suffered from the delayed emergence problem following the dry spring. People who would normally put in a hatful of entries were only able to bench three or four entries. To be honest, if we had been up to our full complement of spikes ,it would have been hard to fit everything in.

The show ran smoothly, thanks to all the hard work that Nigel put into its organisation. 

Here are four shots of some of the benches to give you an idea of the wow factor.




























In a hotly contested three prims class, it was Peter Forrow who came out on top with these Little Jude and a Kathryn.




My main efforts were aimed at the seedlings classes and I was lucky enough to win the 4/500 Seedling class with this big white one.




I had hoped that I might do all right with this pink one in the prim seedlings class as it scores very highly on novelty. However, it didn't even get a card, that honour being reserved for rather more conventional seedlings. The winner did have some very sharp markings and looks to be an improvement on Shalimar. The photos of it are on the BGS Facebook page.





I didn't put much in the floret boxes, just this box of my new 200, Firelight. Peter and Nigel fought it out in the prim boxes. 






The floret boxes made a good display.



It was good to see more than one basket in the two classes for them. Trevor won this section as well.















There were a few examples of
Kathryn here and there, exhibited by Karen Bell, Peter Forrow and myself. Theprim below sone of my newer ones, Mira, exhibited by Nigel.


I have two peachy creations which have been seen recently. This is Panier and the other one is Sophie B which is earlier and smaller. The venerable judges were not even a little bit impressed.







I was pleased to see a number of my babies in this prim colour class: there was a Bounty, a numbered seedling, Kathryn, Mira, Lesley Swinnerton and maybe one more.





As long as I can hang on to one of the seedling cups each year, I shall be very happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment