Tuesday 15 August 2017

The Yorkshire Gladiolus Society Show, Kirklees, Huddersfield Sat 12th August

 Leading up to this show, an issue on social media arose which gave me food for thought. One of the exhibitors posted on the BGS Facebook page photos of the glads he had cut for Huddersfield. He knew that I was irregular contributor to the BGS site but obviously didn't connect that to the fact that I would be judging the show for which his flowers were destined. This puts any judge in an unenviable position. Anyone could say that cards were given because the judge knew whose flowers they were in advance etc etc. As I see it there are two solutions: a) exhibitors don't post before the show or b) the judges stay off the social media until after the show. I'm not sure which to recommend but I won't be looking at the BGS site in the days leading up to Hartlepool as I'm judging there and sure as eggs is eggs some exhibitor will unwittingly post something about their flowers before the show.

Anyway, I love the schedule at the YGS show. There are thirty odd classes for glads: something for everyone. The only thing that stops it from being a really big show is that it's a bit early in the season for some.





I was flattered that some of the glads that I had bred were present at the show. I'm always particularly hard when judging these so that no one can accuse me of favouring my own varieties. 





Peggy Roseby was named after my wife's mother. This one had lost the colour in the bottom floret.






Kitty Rodely is a friend of my wife. The flower has lovely sharp colours but in this case  it didn't win because, amongst other things, there's no gap at the back of these florets where there should be one.





Mira is named after one of my Albanian students.




Best 400 and grand Champion was this Pink Elegance exhibited by Peter Forrow.






Best prim was the right hand spike of Shalimar, again by Peter Forrow.





Skalka is a newish 300 that may fit the bill if it's shown well.



This Star Performer was overflowered but held well and was admired by the public.



There was a fair amount of Snazzy in evidence.






The public also liked John Pilbeam's Angel's Kisses above.





In the prims we also had some Ruby







and some Lady Penelope.







Not loads of 200s, but these Hawaiian Sunset were nice and informal which makes a change.



A little surprised to see some Priscilla on the bench. Lack of height was one of its problems.




Some overflowered Dion were benched



and this is turning into the year of the giant sized Pink Elegance.



The odd Cream Perfection was seen.



I had no hesitation in awarding the best exhibit to the winner of the florist's class with these very evenly matched Lady Helen.




Plenty for the public to look at. The 500s and 300s were mostly overflowered and I had no option but to award the best 300 to an Emir / Purple Prince / Purple Flora  and the best 500 to a Flevo United which normally would not have been in the running.

A very enjoyable show. My thanks to Kirklees Council and to David Willoughby and his wife for running this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment